I’ve been going to Body by John for 6 months now, relying on personal training multiple times a week and occasionally a group session. The gym is outstanding, as are all the trainers.
For background, I somehow managed to make it through 25 years of life without a single shred of knowledge regarding fitness. 6 months later I am more competent and fit than I could have imagined.
Some immediate indicators this a great gym:
- the equipment is world class: diverse, well-maintained, and comprised of standard stuff along with some really cool contraptions that make for a killer (and fun) workout.
- the space is beautiful and organized: this isn’t a little studio with the equipment stored in the corner. There’s plenty of room for multiple private sessions and a group session or two.
- Happy, helping trainers: The Body By John family and staff are welcoming and patient with everyone that walks in.
- Tailored, legitimate workout regimines: your first session is an assessment, outlining your goals, lifestyles, and expectations.
Some things that become evident over time:
- The trainers know their stuff. The suggestions they make regarding fitness and nutrition are spot on.
- Happy clients. I see multiple people on a weekly basis and they all look fitter than when I started 6 months ago. That’s a good sign, right?
- Fitness is a lifelong passion of the staff. This isn’t a big box gym where equipment and workouts remain static. There’s continually newer, cooler exercises to do. The staff is fun to be around and takes a legitimate interest in you, not just your $$$.
- Realistic expectations: getting in shape is a challenging and long process. The staff doesn’t promise unachieavable miracles and delivers realistic expectations given what you’re willing to put in. They get you back on track after breaks, slipups, and valleys.
I’ll say it again: this is an outstanding gym. There’s something for every price point. It’s actually hard to believe how affordable the unlimited studio plan is. You’d be hard pressed to find a better fitness facility in Maine.