We are aware that Apple has reached out to a number of our customers who use the Achieve Client App for iOS informing them that they are in breach of Apple’s regulations related to selling in-app, on-demand services.
What does this mean?
According to Apple’s regulations: “If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase”. WellnessLiving offers three different types of services that may be applicable to this rule:
- Live virtual Appointments using our Zoom integration
- Live virtual Classes and Events using our Zoom integration
- FitVID on Demand video hosting services
Apple’s regulations state that you cannot sell on-demand services through your app unless you are using direct in-app purchases. Currently, WellnessLiving does not enable in-app purchases via Apple Pay for the Achieve White Label Client App or Achieve Client App (for iOS). In-app purchases via Apple Pay are subject to a 15-30% commission taken by Apple (depending on the size of your business).
From our understanding, these rules do not apply to live virtual appointments using our Zoom integration, however, according to an article on CNBC, as of June 2021, these rules will apply to all live virtual Classes and Events. Additionally, Apple has begun enforcing this rule for all FitVID on Demand video hosting services.
We are currently waiting for Apple’s response to clarify which virtual services are required to be offered as in-app purchases via Apple pay.
Apple in-app purchase regulations do not affect:
- The selling of virtual services/products using the browser version of WellnessLiving or the Achieve Client App for Android.
- The selling of the following products and services using the Achieve Client App for iOS:
- Any Purchase Option for in-person services (I.e., classes, appointments, events)
- Live virtual one-on-one appointments using our Zoom integration (awaiting confirmation from Apple)
- Any products
- Clients who have bought a Purchase Option that allows access to virtual services via in-person at the business’s physical location, the WellnessLiving Explorer listing, Presence custom websites, the Client Web App, or the Achieve Client App for Android.
What happens next?
In the latest release of WellnessLiving (February 22, 2021), we have removed your ability to sell Purchase Options that include the words “Virtual”, “Video”, or “On Demand” through the Achieve Client App for iOS. If your clients want to buy Purchase Options that include access to these services, they must do so either in-person at your physical location, or direct your clients to make the purchase using any one of the following applications:
- The Client Web App
- The Achieve Client App for Android
- The WellnessLiving Explorer listing
- Presence Custom Websites
We are working with Apple to reach a solution and, as always, we will do our best to make sure that we advocate and continue to look out for your best interests.