You can prorate membership payments for clients during checkout as well as for clients who have already purchased a membership.
When selling a membership to a client, you can prorate the first membership payment to ensure the client pays for the exact amount of time that they have access to your services. This can be useful if a client wants to purchase a membership halfway through a payment period.
Example: A client wants to purchase a membership with scheduled payments on the 1st of every month. The client purchases this membership on January 15th. Instead of charging the client for all of January, you can prorate the payment and charge the client for only the period of time between January 15th and February 1st. After the initial payment, the client will be billed on the 1st of every month for the full value of the membership.
You can also prorate a membership payment for a membership that has already been purchased by a client. This can be useful if the client wants to change the date of their scheduled payments. The date of a client’s scheduled payments can be moved forwards or backwards and prorated accordingly.
Example: A client owns a membership with scheduled payments on the 1st of every month. The client wants to change the date of their scheduled payments to the 15th of every month. You can move the date of the client’s scheduled payments forwards and prorate the value of their next scheduled payment. Because you are effectively extending the length of the membership by 15 days, the client will be billed for those additional days. After the prorated payment, the client will be billed on the 15th of every month for the full value of the membership.
In this article:
To prorate a membership payment at checkout:
- Click the App Drawer button .
- In the App Drawer, click Store.
- Under Customer Information, select the client who is making the purchase in one of the following ways:
- In the SEARCH CLIENT box, type all or part of the client’s name, and then select the client from the list.
- To create a new client, click +ADD CLIENT, complete the required client profile information, and then click SAVE.
- Under Products and Services, search for and select the membership you want to purchase, and then click Add to cart.
- In the shopping cart, click the Options button and select Edit Details from the list.
- In the START ON box, enter the date on which the membership will start. Expiration and renewal dates are based on the date entered here.
- Set the Prorate first payment option to ON.
- In the PRORATE FROM box, enter the date from which you would like to prorate the membership.
- If you want the client to pay for only the prorated time in the current pay period, set the Pay for prorated period only option to
- Click Proceed to Checkout.
- Under Select a Payment Method, select each payment method that the client wants to use (e.g., Virtual Terminal, Card Swiper, Cash). In most cases, the total payment will be split between the selected payment methods equally, but you can adjust the amounts as required. If you select Gift Cards, you must enter the required code, and then the amount on the gift card will be entered automatically.
- Click Complete.
To prorate a membership payment from a client’s profile:
- On the Top Nav Bar, click the Search button , and enter the client’s information in the box. You can enter the client’s name, phone number, email address, UID, or client ID.
- In the list of clients displayed, click the client’s name.
- On the side menu, click Account.
- On the Account menu, click Passes & Memberships.
- Find the membership for which you want to prorate a payment in the list. You may have to browse the list, use the Search option, or filter the list to find the membership.
- Click the Options button to the right of the membership listing and select Edit Purchase Option.
- In General Information, under Auto-payments every, select the date on which the membership will start. Expiration and renewal dates are based on the date entered here.
- Select the checkbox next to Prorate first payment.
- In the Prorate from box, select the date from which you would like to prorate the membership.
- Click SAVE FOR [CLIENT NAME].