After you have created and activated a gift card, you can sell it through your store. Gift cards can be emailed or printed, or you can give a client a custom physical gift card after selling them a gift card through your store.
To learn how to sell a QUICK gift card, see Selling a QUICK gift card.
When selling a gift card, keep in mind the following information:
- Clients don’t pay tax when they buy gift cards. This is because tax is applied when they use their gift cards to buy products or purchase options.
- Staff members and clients cannot load new dollar amounts onto gift cards that have already been sold to clients.
- When selling a gift card with a set dollar value from the store, changing the dollar value in the Amount field in the shopping cart won’t change the value of the gift card. For example, if you’re selling a client a $100 gift card and change the dollar value in the Amount field to $60, the client will only pay $60 for a $100 gift card. To sell gift cards with different dollar values, you must create different gift cards with unique dollar values or allow custom amounts to be set at checkout. For more information, see Creating or modifying a gift card with set dollar values.
To sell a gift card:
- Click the App Drawer button .
- In the App Drawer, click View All.
- In the list, click Store. You can filter the list by entering Store into the Search field.
- On the Store menu, click hidden.
- On the hidden menu, click hidden.
- Select the client to whom you are making the sale in one of the following ways:
- To select an existing client, in the SEARCH OR ADD CUSTOMER box, type the client’s name, and then select the client.
- To create a new client, click Add Client to create a new client profile, and then select the client.
- To make the purchase anonymously (i.e., without associating it with a client profile), click Walk-In.
- Under Products and Services, search for and click the gift card you want to sell.
- Select whether the gift card should be emailed or printed by selecting Email or Print.
- If you are selling the client a custom physical gift card, select Print. You won’t be required to print a copy of the card after the sale is complete.
- If you are selling a gift card with a dollar value, select the value from the list next to Amount or select other and enter a custom value.
- Enter the client’s and the recipient’s information in the provided fields.
- If you chose to email the gift card, you can choose to send the card on a specific date by selecting a date next to Send On.
- To assign the gift card a custom number, select the Assign a custom gift card number and enter the number in the box.
- If you are selling the client a custom physical gift card, enter the number from the card or scan the card with a barcode scanner to populate the gift card number automatically.
- Click Add to cart.
- If required, transfer the gift card to another client:
- Click the More button and select Transfer.
- Under Transfer this gift card to, enter the name of the client who will receive the gift card.
- Select the client from the list.
- Click Proceed to Checkout.
- Select each payment method the client wants to use (e.g., Virtual Terminal, Card Swiper, Cash). In most cases, the total payment is split between the selected payment methods equally, but you can adjust the amounts as required. If you select Gift Cards, you must enter the required code, and the amount on the gift card will be automatically entered.
- Click Complete.
- To print the gift card, see Printing a gift card.
- If you are selling a custom physical gift card, you can give the card to the client once the purchase is completed. It is not necessary to print a copy of the card.
- If you have enabled the gift card notification, it will be sent to the client who receives the gift card regardless of whether it was a virtual or physical gift card.
- If you transferred the gift card to another client, the gift card will appear in the Passes & Memberships page of the client who received the gift card.