Injuries & Special Populations (ISP) equips you with the skills required to address a broad range of physical challenges among your clients. It is important to note that this course will NOT prepare students to diagnose or treat any specific injuries or conditions or prescribe exercises for these populations without consultation with an appropriate health practitioner (i.e. Physical Therapist, Physiotherapist or similarly recognized health care professional).
Completion of ISP is required for full STOTT PILATES certification.
This course is intended for those already working in the fields of fitness or movement and is conducted over 4 days. Building on your STOTT PILATES® knowledge it teaches you to customize workouts to address weaknesses, health conditions, postural problems or injuries (but not to diagnose specific injuries).
General Course Objectives:
- Discuss the Pilates Instructor’s role in the rehabilitative process
- Examine the industry standards for screening clients and learn how to begin a Pilates program to safely and appropriately work with special populations
- Discuss the three-level muscle classification system
- Develop and be able to apply a rehabilitative approach based on current models of joint stability
- Examine optimal and dysfunctional biomechanical patterns in various regions of the body
- Review the most common injuries and special populations that may be encountered
- Review appropriate exercise progressions for those injuries and special populations
- Practice programming for specific injuries and special populations
What you will learn:
- Approaches to rehabilitating an injured musculoskeletal system
- Anatomy and biomechanics, dysfunctions and pathologies, and exercise modifications in the: lumbo-pelvic, cervical, upper quadrant, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee, ankle and foot regions
- Pregnancy, fibromyalgia and other special conditions plus workout design
- Appropriate modification of Matwork, Reformer, Cadillac, Stability Chair and Barrel exercises
Students must have completed the STOTT PILATES Intensive Mat-Plus or Intensive Reformer.