Insight yoga is an integrated practice where complimentary streams of yoga, Buddhism, and spiritual psychology are interwoven to enhance health and balance in the body, heart, and mind. In this transformative 4-week workshop we will not only practice but we will discuss the purpose and benefit of its methods, including:
- Yin yoga
- Meridian system theory
- Yang yoga (alignment-based slow flow)
- Metta (lovingkindness meditation)
- Contemplative inquiry
Each week will build on the last. While we start in Week One by taking a closer look at individual practices, by Week Three we are weaving them together, layering them in various ways to produce beautiful invitations to release conditioning and, at least for moments, to touch into a deep and holistic sense of the self as it is: luminous and full of potential.
By the close of this workshop you’ll have your own favorite yogic methods for achieving balance, expanding self-knowledge, and cultivating wisdom and compassion. You’ll also have a roadmap for an adaptable and nourishing home practice that can buoy you in all circumstances. Indeed, your identifying the most appropriate, supportive practice for yourself, as you are, on a given morning—however short that practice may need to be as you prepare to meet the day, and whether or not it includes yoga or breathing or meditation or a combination—and practicing it with dedication and resolve, is potent self-care that, when sustained, stands to transform your life.
Who This Workshop Is For:
- This workshop is appropriate for people who have some familiarity with yoga and/or meditation.
- It will also be beneficial to those already familiar with Insight Yoga who do not otherwise have the chance to practice it in community, and will be able to contribute their experienced, steady, open presence to the group.
- If you have practiced yoga for less than 6 months and would like to attend, Sarah Jane invites you to have a short conversation prior to your registering, which can be arranged by email and happen by phone, or you can arrive 30 minutes early to the first class.
About Sarah Jane Shangraw:
Sarah Jane studied religions from an historical perspective well before discovering Wisdom teachings as a source of support. Now, in her Insight Yoga and Yin/Meditation classes, weekend workshops, and mentoring and coaching sessions, she weaves together yogic and Buddhist methods with psychospiritual inquiry as a means to help nourish the body, heal the heart, and train the mind. She believes that freedom is possible, in moments, and even amidst difficulty, when we take life as the path. By retreating annually, paying attention to the evolving relationship of Buddhism and psychology, and working to uncover her unconscious bias, she keeps her practice and teaching fresh and responsive. Sarah Jane is also a stepmother, book editor, and musician. She offers deep gratitude to her teachers and spiritual friends, including Sarah Powers, Ty Powers, Thanissara, Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach, Suzanne Marlowe, Jennifer O’Sullivan, Barbara Benagh, and Natasha Rizopoulos. For more information: yogawithsarahjane.com.
Mar 11, 2019