Working from the “yinside” out, we will explore the main
postures of yin yoga, the benefits of this style of practice, and
basic anatomy necessary to understand how different bodies create
different shapes. You'll be introduced to Paul Grilley's
“Functional Approach to Yoga” and how it works with the teachings
This training is open to both current and aspiring yoga teachers, as well as enthusiastic students who wish to spend the weekend immersed in all things Yin. You’ll leave this weekend with the foundation and ability to guide yourself and your students safely and effectively into a wide variety of yin poses.
This course also qualifies for 15 hours of CE credit with Yoga Alliance for registered yoga teachers.
Friday 6:00-9:00pm (includes the scheduled 6pm studio
Saturday 11:00-7:00pm (1 hour lunch break)
Sunday 9:30am-3:00pm (half hour lunch break)
565 Cameron Way #103
North Liberty, IA 52317
About Melissa Christensen, ERYT500, YACEP. Melissa is a full-time professional yoga teacher trainer and has been teaching yin yoga for over ten years, having studied with Paul Grilley and his senior assistant Joe Barnett, Bernie Clark and Sarah Powers. She brings a wealth of knowledge to her trainings, offering a comprehensive, engaging and fun approach to her love of yin. Melissa has led over 20 yin trainings, guiding over 600 teachers in the last 4 years across the United States and into Canada. Her training is Yoga Alliance approved, as a YACEP certified trainer. You can find her at www.yoginimelissac.com, on FB and IG @yoginimelissac or leading Spectra School of Yoga's 200 & 300 hour teacher training program in Costa Mesa, CA
We’ll be focusing on:
· The history and philosophy of yin yoga
· The main poses of yin yoga
· Newer yin poses that target the upper body
· The Functional Approach to Yoga
· Skeletal variation and how it affects the shape of the pose
· Anatomy review to support the Functional Approach
· Understanding connective tissue and fascia
· Stressing tissues through Compression and Tension
· Target areas of the poses
· Modifications and prop use
· Introduction to Chinese Meridian theory as it relates to yin
· Introduction to mindfulness meditation practice
· How to build a class (sequencing, timing, music, props, intention)
You'll also get practice time teaching each other what you've just learned! Putting this knowledge into action.
Required: either Bernie Clark's book - The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga OR Sarah Powers book - Insight Yoga for reference.