No experience is required to attend this workshop. It is accessible both to those who are curious about yogic breathing and want to understand how they can benefit and to those who regularly practice one or more yogic methods and wish to enhance their physical, mental or spiritual journey through greater emphasis on pranayama.
Part 1: Theory and Scope of Pranayama
1. The philosophical basis of pranayama in ancient Indic thought
2. Definition and discussion of pranayama
3. Types and levels of pranayama from various traditions
4. Benefits of the practice in Yoga, Ayurveda and Tantra
5. Brief review of specific pranayamas
6. Integrating the pranayama practice with the physical or meditative practice
Part 2: Simple and Gentle Pranayama Practices
(Seated or Lying Down)
1. 3 part breathing( Yogic breathing) exercises
2. Yogic breathing with visualization
3. Yogic breathing with gentle retention
4. Basics of alternate nostril Yogic breathing
5. Basics of breathing with a combination of gentle retention, visualization and hand gestures(mudras)
These exercises will include repetitions and rests; followed by an extended silent rest.
The workshop will be guided by Vinod Dar. He is a member of the Involution yoga community where he practices vinyasa krama in the Mysore tradition. His personal practice is based on a 45 week fundamentals course in the Iyengar pranayama method followed by specialized workshops for more advanced techniques (John Schumacher lead teacher) and other studies. He lives in Rehoboth Beach.
For further Information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org 302-645-7053 or email@example.com.