Period:Feb 2, 2023 - Feb 4, 2023
Number of Sessions:3
Days of week
AIARE 2: (Prerequisites: AIARE 1 & Rescue)
- The AIARE 2 is a three-day/24-hour course that provides backcountry travelers an opportunity to advance their decision making skills in more complicated situations such as being a leader within a small travel group, traveling in more complicated terrain, and/or developing a travel plan where resources are scarce.
- The AIARE 2 builds on the introductory avalanche hazard management model introduced in the AIARE 1 and adds to it the evaluation of critical hazard assessment factors. Students will describe and discuss weather, snowpack and avalanche processes, and identify how these processes relate to observations and travel within avalanche terrain.
Course starts at 8 a.m. M.T. daily in Seeley Lake, MT at Rich Ranch.
Who Should Take this Course
The AIARE 2 is a three-day course for those who have taken an AIARE 1 and Avalanche Rescue and have had at least a year of backcountry travel experience. The AIARE 2 provides backcountry leaders the opportunity to advance their avalanche knowledge and decision making skills.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Differentiate where specific avalanche hazards exist within the landscape and identify avalanche terrain where consequences may be more severe.
- Use and interpret weather, snow, and avalanche observations to locate appropriate terrain prior to entering and while in the field.
- Demonstrate leadership skills within a small team that include facilitating small group discussion, promoting appropriate terrain selection, and utilizing simple risk management strategies.
- Implement a basic forecasting framework that can be used in conjunction with and in the absences of local supporting avalanche information.
- MT Trail Pass
- Beacon, Probe, Shovel
- Snowmobile & Gear (Rentals Available)
Recommended but not required: radio, avalanche pack, extra shovel & probe, first aid kits
- Sunday, January 29th, 2023: AIARE 1
- Monday, January 30th, 2023: AIARE 1 or Backcountry Riding Mechanics
- Tuesday, January 31st, 2023: AIARE 1 or Backcountry Riding Mechanics
- Wednesday, February 1st, 2023: AIARE Rescue or S.A.F.E.R.
- Thursday, Thursday, February 2nd, 2023: AIARE 2 or Backcountry Riding Mechanics
- Friday, February 3rd, 2023: AIARE 2 or Backcountry Riding Mechanics
- Saturday, February 4th, 2023: AIARE 2
Rich’s Montana Guest Ranch
Rich’s Montana Guest Ranch; a Full Service lodge.
- Rich’s Montana Guest Ranch is a Dude Ranch; featuring lots of animals on site. Because of the excitement this may cause for other animals, pets are not welcome.
- WIFI is offered in the main lodge.
- Snowmobile rentals are available.
- Participants must have the ability to travel in avalanche terrain.
- An AIARE 1 Course (strongly recommended) or equivalent Level 1 training is required.
- A winter of practical experience after the Level 1 course is required before taking the AIARE 2 course.
- AIARE or AAA approved one-day Avalanche Rescue Course.
Driven is an equal opportunity employer. This event is brought to you in partnership with Rich Ranch, LLC and permitted by the U.S. Government Seeley Lake Ranger District.