Period:Jan 29, 2023 - Jan 31, 2023
Number of Sessions:3
Days of week
- The AIARE 1 is a three-day / 24-hour introduction to avalanche hazard management.
- Students can expect to develop a good grounding in how to prepare for and carry out a backcountry trip, to understand basic decision making while in the field, and to learn rescue techniques required to find and dig up a buried person (if an avalanche occurs and someone in the party is caught).
Course starts at 8 a.m. M.T. daily in Seeley Lake, MT at Rich Ranch.
Who Should Take this Course
The AIARE 1 is for ANYONE, regardless of method of travel, who wants to recreate in or near avalanche terrain. Participants may have attended some awareness classes or workshops or completed the Avalanche Rescue course, but none are a prerequisite for this course.
Aspiring professionals will need to take the AIARE 1 and Avalanche Rescue as a prerequisite for the Pro 1 course.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the end of the AIARE 1 course, the student should be able to:
- Develop a plan for travel in avalanche terrain.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify avalanche terrain.
- Effectively use The AIARE Risk Management Framework to make terrain choices in a group setting.
- Demonstrate effective companion rescue.
- MT Trail Pass
- Beacon, Probe, Shovel
- Snowmobile & Gear (Rentals Available)
Recommended but not required:
Radio, avalanche pack, extra shovel & probe, first aid kits
- Sunday, January 29th, 2023: AIARE 1
- Monday, January 30th, 2023: AIARE 1 or Backcountry Riding Mechanics
- Tuesday, January 31st, 2023: AIARE 1 or Backcountry Riding Mechanics
- Wednesday, February 1st, 2023: AIARE Rescue or S.A.F.E.R.
- Thursday, Thursday, February 2nd, 2023: AIARE 2 or Backcountry Riding Mechanics
- Friday, February 3rd, 2023: AIARE 2 or Backcountry Riding Mechanics
- Saturday, February 4th, 2023: AIARE 2
Rich’s Montana Guest Ranch
Rich’s Montana Guest Ranch is a Full Service lodge.
- Rich’s Montana Guest Ranch is a Dude Ranch; featuring lots of animals on site. Because of the excitement this may cause for other animals, pets are not welcome.
- WIFI is offered in the main lodge.
- Snowmobile rentals are available.
Students must be able to travel in avalanche terrain and bring appropriate equipment for traveling on snow to class. There are no other prerequisites.
Driven is an equal opportunity employer. This event is brought to you in partnership with Rich Ranch, LLC and permitted by the U.S. Government Seeley Lake Ranger District.