Accessible Yoga for Older Grownups 20 hour Teacher Training
This 20 HR Teacher Training is for yoga teachers, movement professionals, health professionals and anyone who works daily with the human body in a clinical or teaching perspective.
Yoga that is accessible to older grownups can significantly improve their experience of aging, their management of injuries and chronic diseases, their capacity to prevent injury and their continued full participation in life. The challenge is to make yoga safe without watering down the practices and without making students feel like geriatrics.
Making yoga inclusive, accessible and empowering requires equipping yoga teachers, who already have the passion, with the knowledge and skills to safely support a diverse range of individuals in their classes. It is important, when teaching seniors and older grownups, to be able not only to offer choices and modifications, but to also educate them to be able to make informed choices.
The Accessible Yoga for Older GrownupsTeacher Training will go beyond teaching set sequences and modifications, by empowering yoga teachers to synthesise knowledge of the aging process, common health conditions and injuries, and health promotion best practice to confidently and safely support older individuals in their classes.
This course will cover:
- Principles of how to teach accessible, safe, fun, empowering classes to older grownups.
- An overview of the normal aging process and the concept of healthy aging.
- Principles of effective health promotion programs for older adults
- An review of common conditions aging such as osteoporosis, arthritis, joint replacement, rotator cuff, frozen shoulder, anxiety and depression.
- An understanding of the impact of aging and health conditions on an older person's mobility, daily function and participationin life and in yoga class .
- Principles of adaptation, modification and prop use for safety and to empower older students.
- Sequences for older grownups and seniors that are based on the latest research evidence.
- Use of evidence based assessments to document functional outcomes.
- Yoga teacher's scope of practice and the ethics of teaching older students.
Course dates and times: 26th - 28th April, 2019
Location: One Family Yoga & Fitness
105 Seville Rd, Holland Park QLD 4121
Cost: $750. Earlybird $695 paid in full by 26th March.