MBSR is an 8-week evidence based, experiential program designed to provide participants with intensive and systematic training in mindfulness meditation and movement practices, and integrating into one’s daily life what is discovered and learned through the process of participating in the program.
First created in 1979, by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., MBSR has over 40 years of research that consistently demonstrates positive outcomes associated with increased self-awareness and emotional and attentional regulation. In addition, outcomes highlight statistically significant reductions in symptoms for various physical and behavioral health conditions including anxiety, depression and chronic pain, along with positive changes in risk factors that may lead to more serious chronic ailments.
MBSR participants can expect to experience:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices.
- Gentle streching and mindful yoga.
- Group dialogue and mindful communication exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life.
- Individually tailored instruction.
- Daily home assignments.
- Guided meditations on CD and workbooks.
With focus on developing…
- Recognition of the present moment
- The breath as a place to come back to in moments of stress
- Mindfulness practice
- Understanding of stress physiology
- The ability to recognize automatic mind and body reactivity to stress
- Awareness of the link between stress and thoughts
- Interpersonal mindfulness and mindful communication
- Applying mindfulness to our daily lives
- Mindfulness a part of your life
Who will benefit?
The MBSR Programme has benefited thousands of people around the world who report a variety of conditions and concerns including:
- Stress Related Life Issues – Work, school, family, financial, illness, ageing, grief, uncertainty about the future and feeling ’out of control’.
- Medical conditions – Chronic illness, chronic pain, high blood pressure, cancer, diabetes, coronary heart disease, asthma, skin disorders and many other conditions
- Psychological distress – Anxiety, trauma, depression, fatigue and sleep disturbances
- Prevention and Wellbeing – Enhancement of health and wellbeing that encourages a deeper sense of equanimity in ourselves and our relationships.
This programme is challenging and life-affirming. Participating in MBSR requires an ongoing commitment to yourself.
Lisa Brown is a Registered Psychologist, Certified Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction Teacher and Yoga Teacher in private practice in Coffs Harbour. Lisa has a passion for mind body medicine and the integration of science and wisdom traditions in supporting healing and wholeness. She has worked with people experiencing trauma for 20 years and brings a depth of experience and practices to support safety and wellbeing.
Jude Baderle is a mindfulness based somatic psychotherapist
practicing in Coffs Harbour. She has trained in Mindfulness
Based Stress reduction as well as in the Insight tradition, where
she has been involved in running and teaching on retreats. Jude
loves to guide people to find sustainable and creative ways to
bring mindfulness practices into daily life.
* Rebates may be available for people referred by their GP or
Some private health funds will also provide rebates.
There are some places available for people experiencing financial difficulty. We are also happy to talk about payment plans as needed.
Please note, due to current COVID restrictions, this class will now be offered online only.
Nov 11, 2021