A strong and stable core is much more than “six pack abs”. The core is the center of gravity and where all movement begins and it is the vital force that holds you steady in yoga and in life.
The physical core system consists of our abdominals, lower back and our pelvis. There as many as 35 different muscle groups connecting into the pelvis from the spine and hips. All of these muscles work together symbiotically to create strength and flexibility throughout the center of your body. Yoga builds strong, balanced abdominal muscles in a healthy, wholistic way.
Why do we need a strong and stable core?
• Improves posture and balance
• Reduces risk of injury
• Improves performance in sports and exercise
• Stabilize the body and protects the spine
• Allows greater ease with movement
• Helps daily activities to become easier
• Supports the skeleton and protects the bones
Core work in yoga is smart body mechanics. When we maintain body awareness in our yoga poses, we are training ourselves to be more intuitive about how to tap into our core power: to cultivate more strength, ease, and joy on and off the mat.
In this 4-week series we will look at all aspects of the core. You will learn how to work intelligently with the whole center of your body, finding the perfect balance between strength and mobility, for postural integrity, a healthy spine and relaxed mind. You'll learn about the muscles that make up the “core”, practice yoga postures with a focus stability, learn how to stack the torso over the pelvis safely and effectively, understand the way the core supports strength throughout the entire body, and discover connections between the core and emotional/spiritual well-being.
Taught by E-RYT (experienced registered yoga teacher) Ellen Dragonette.
Here's what you need to do.
- Download the Zoom Meetings App. Go to your app store or www.zoom.us
- A good internet/data connection
- A laptop or tablet (you can hook your laptop up to your TV via HDMI if you want to watch it on TV).
- Be sure you have "Receive email and text notifications" and "Subscribe to news and updates of Yana Yoga" enabled in your Yana Yoga/Wellness Living profile.
- Be sure you can access your email on the device you will be using to watch the class.
- You will receive an email with a link to join the class 10 - 15 minutes prior to the start of class. You will need to put in your first and last name and email address in after you click the link.
- If you don't get the email... check your SPAM/JUNK folder! Add contact@yanayoga and email@example.com to your CONTACT/SAFE SENDER LIST.