Ryan is a Functional Movement Specialist; SFG II (kettlebell), SFL (powerlifting), SFB (body weight) instructor; and — along with his brother, Derek — co-founder of TNT. He earned his first fitness certification — the Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) designation — in 2006 while working in the information technology field. Although he enjoyed the part-time personal training work that he subsequently started doing, it wasn’t until returning from his first kettlebell certification in April of 2008 that training others became more than an enjoyable hobby.
Since officially founding TNT in late 2008, Ryan has helped numerous individuals lose up to 80 lbs (and one over 100 lbs); get out of pain; and improve strength, athletic performance, and basic physical capabilities for everyday life. He has also trained eight women through healthy pregnancies. In doing so, he has become an expert in teaching safe and effective kettlebell and exercise technique, has been selected as an assistant instructor for numerous level 1 and 2 kettlebell certifications, and is one of only two instructors in WI — again, along with his brother — authorized to teach StrongFirst kettlebell user courses.
Passionate about fields as seemingly diverse as strength and psychology, he is both a teacher and a lifelong student. When he’s not at the gym, you’ll find him relaxing (reading or watching movies) or preparing to relax (mountain biking, snowboarding, rock climbing, or improving his gymnastic abilities). Former athletic pursuits include Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, baseball, wrestling, and adventure racing.
- StrongFirst Senior Instructor (2018 -- Present)
- StrongFirst Team Leader (2017 -- 2018)
- StrongFirst Girya level 2 (SFG II) certified instructor (2013** – Present)
- Authorized to teach StrongFirst kettlebell user courses
- Assistant instructor at level 1 and 2 RKC/SFG certifications in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, & 2014
- Certified Kettlebell – Functional Movement Specialist (CK-FMS / FMS; 2009 – Present)
- Russian Kettlebell Challenge level 2 (RKC II) certified instructor (2009 – 2014)
- Russian Kettlebell Challenge (RKC) certified instructor (2008 – 2014)
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS; 2006 – 2010)
** StrongFirst came into existence in late 2012 and teaches a continuation / evolution of movement & strength principles taught at the RKC.