Yoga for Seniors is a 20 hour training (16 contact hours) focused on the specific needs and considerations of older populations to help yoga teachers and those working with older populations to design and lead an appropriate senior yoga practice. The course includes anatomy for older populations, yoga for beginners, and material covering the following issues:
- Knee and hip replacements,
- Wrist & bone density issues
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Diabetes, COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- The side effects of medications and specific emotional and physical challenges facing those age 60 and above.
- What to do in emergencies if accidents or medical problems occur in class.
Posture modifications, props, & sequencing yoga for seniors is reviewed, as well as creative class ideas to keep seniors engaged, developing affirming attitudes and connections to the class and providing new ways to teach core yoga philosophy and practices .
This training will introduce the basics of chair yoga, however, we offer a full weekend chair yoga certification that fully explores seated yoga for those working with students with limited motion or confined to wheelchairs, and we urge our students to take both weekends if they are planning to specialize in working with the elderly and would like to fully explore the options related to teaching this demographic.
Feb 04, 2020